Friday, April 17, 2009

The trials of parenthood...

8 pm 
Nikoli has decided that the battle is on. He had a terrible day at school and was sent home at about 1 pm; calmed down for a little while but then just went from 0 to 60 once we got home. I guess he figured that he shouldn't be grounded and wanted to play with his toys, and once I reminded him that was not an option all I could hear was this bell going "ding, ding!" and a baritone voice going "Let's Get Ready to RUUUMMMBLLLLLLLLE!", lol.  And I thought to myself, ok, great, here we go.  I don't know what's going on with this kid... but, to find out, I have to be patient. Very, very, very patient. Because he is testing me today, and refuses to stop. He's misbehaved so many times, the kid has lost 40 toys today. 40. I'm not kidding. 

See,  because spanking is outlawed and timeouts are ineffective, when he's misbehaving we take his toys away. 1 toy for every rule broken. And usually, it only takes one or two to get the message through, even when he's at his worst. But not today, oh no, today, the little man seems to be bent on being the boss and doing whatever he feels like no matter what the consequences. Such as telling his teacher and his principal to shut up, telling a littel girl she should be killed on the cross (I guess maybe the Easter movie made too much of an impression on him), hitting, screaming, and demanding things that he in no way is entitled to nor deserves at this point.   Give me strength.

8.45 pm
He's nothing if not determined. But very sad now that 50 of his toys are gone. 

9.15  
And even sadder now that I've told him I've cancelled his social plans for the weekend - his respite worker was gonna come over with her two kids, whom he adores. So, now he's changing his tune. Finally. 

10.27 pm  Lol, or so I thought. Turns out the boy has endurance. He finally decided to co-operate with me, and now, I've (finally!) just put him to bed. 

It's been a looooooong day. Thank God it's over!  I think I'm gonna curl up with a nice hot chocolate, my teddy, and my blanket as I watch Romeo and Juliet... or maybe Across the Universe :) And think happy, dreamy thoughts :)

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing. Absolutely amazing. I'm in awe of your patience and am so happy you managed to 'stick to your guns' as it were. How do you do it?

    PS
    I maybe kind of snickered a little at the 'died on the cross' line. Your kid is nothing if not creative...

    ReplyDelete