Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Well, now, that's refreshing!

I once had the fortune to become acquainted with a delightful man named Shane. (I love that name ever since I became a fan of the L Word). He is from Ottawa (I think?) but was in Yellowknife to conduct a training session on the new all-in-one fully-integrated real-time system our department recently adopted. So, he was only here for about 3 or 4 days... but he was an absolute delight :) Very friendly, funny, flourish-y; just fabulous! 

Anyway, he mentioned in the session one day that it was his birthday the next day; but that he wasn't sad at all (to be missing it and working instead) 'cause we were such a great class (and we were). I still thought that kinda sucked though, so I decided to give him an abstract pendant-style soapstone carving I had made as an impromptu birthday gift and souvenir of his visit to the north. I think he was genuinely touched; I mean, who ever bothers to think about the fly-by-night instructor, right? And I always have been somewhat of a teacher's pet... or, do you call that a suck-up? Lol. He thanked me, then peered at me very intensely, then said he had something, a file, on his laptop that he thought I might really, really like, that he would show/share with me after class.

Isn't is awesome? I was yet again delighted when he showed it to me, and again when he emailed me the file :) He told me it was an ad run by some french fashion house ( Versace or something like that; I'm so NOT up on fashion!) in all the major newspapers He had just happened to buy a paper and see it on the first day it was ran; he scanned it right away because it thought it was something pretty extraordinary. Apparently it was, 'cause he said there was so much controversy over it that the company pulled it the next day. Talk about good karma. 

UPDATE: Okay, so not that special now that I did a search on Google and see that the image is available all over the place. And in colour, too. But, he still brought my attention to it, and that's pretty special. And, I now know that it was banned in Italy and France but it apparently doesn't piss of americans as much 'cause they've been mocking the last supper left, right, and center.  I still think it's pretty cool :)

1 comment:

  1. It IS awesome... so beautiful! I love all the gorgeous skin! And, I have to say, all the pseudo last-suppers are beautifully done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete